A trip to the local pediatric dentist can be a traumatizing, challenging event for some children. Despite these challenges, dental health is essential. One solution for this complicated problem is the use of sedatives to reduce dental anxiety in kids. A sedation dentist for kids can help keep children healthy without causing needless stress and anxiety.
Why Sedation is Sometimes Necessary
There are a number of reasons why a sedation dentist for kids might be necessary.
- The child requires a lengthy, complicated procedure.
- The child is especially scared of the dentist.
- The child struggles to sit still.
- The child has special needs.
Types of Sedatives
Not all cases call for the same type of sedatives. Here are some of the options a local pediatric dentist has to reduce dental anxiety in kids.
- Nitrous oxide, commonly referred to as “laughing gas,” is applies through a mask and serves as a mild sedative.
- An IV sedative is passed directly into the child’s bloodstream via a needle, allowing the dentist to sedate the child for a longer period of time.
- Oral sedatives are taken through the mouth or nose, and will keep a child drowsy and relaxed during a procedure.
Contact Our Sherrills Ford Pediatric Dentist Today
If you suspect your child might need sedation to visit the dentist, then contact us to arrange an appointment. Together, we can help your child receive the dental care they need.